Split ticketing: how to save money on your train travel
Split ticketing is a way that savvy travellers can save money on their train travel by purchasing multiple, and potentially cheaper, tickets for a journey instead of a single, more expensive ticket. Read on to find out how split ticketing works and how you can do it to save money and more on your train travel.
Alternatively, if you’re short on time, click the button below to jump to the bottom of this page and complete our short quiz. One of our Travel Experts will get in touch with you to discuss your requirements further.
How does split ticketing work?
Split ticketing can be achieved via the following steps:
- Identify break points: intermediate stations – stations which are between two larger, terminal stations – may have different pricing structures despite being the same stations that you would pass through on your journey regardless.
- Purchase multiple tickets: Using these break points, you can split up your journey by buying tickets for each leg. This means that instead of buying one ticket for the entire journey, you may buy tickets for each specific leg. The whole journey is still covered, but split over separate tickets.
- Travel on the same train as the single ticket: As the tickets are split at intermediate stations, there is never a need to change trains. Rather, as you arrive at each of these stations, a new ticket will begin covering you. It’s the same journey, but using multiple tickets throughout.
How can split ticketing benefit you?
- Save money: the biggest benefit of split ticketing is that it can lead to significant savings. With variations in pricing structures, the cost of multiple tickets together can become much cheaper than the price you’ll be charged to buy the ticket as a single journey.
- Versatile travel: you have the freedom to turn a single, longer journey in to multiple smaller journeys, if you feel it necessary to break up, as opposed to being locked in to doing it in one go. (If you don’t need to break it up, split ticketing also works on shorter journeys.)
- Easy to identify: we have online tools that enable you to identify potential split ticketing opportunities. This means that you don’t have to submit to paying high prices due to the time spent scouring multiple websites searching for the best options; our tools can do the hard work for you.
Of course, not every journey is going to have a cheaper split ticketing option available, and at times the process may be complex trying to find them. You’ll also need to ensure that you fully check the terms and conditions of your tickets, as well as any adjustments to fare structures, to avoid any issues and ensure a smooth journey. But if done correctly, the savings can be incredibly worthwhile.
If you’d like to find out more ways you can save time and money on your business travel, complete our short quiz below and one of our friendly Travel Experts will be in touch within 24 hours.
We promise to give you:
Safety that lets you rest easy with 24/7 in-house support.
Compliance that lets you ensure travel policy adherence within your organisation.
Visibility that lets you harness the power of data with our reporting and analytics tools.
Control that lets you gain full control of your travel expenses.
Savings that let you experience tangible savings through negotiated deals and competitive rates.
Find out how
Focus on your business with a quality Travel Management Company that will support you and your travellers at every step.
Complete the short quiz below to find out how.